Thursday, January 06, 2005

creepy

I've been working in various aspects of the medical field for about ten years now, so you'd think I wouldn't be shocked by much. But today I was walking into work and I saw these two empty gurneys pushed up against a wall. It was clear that they were gurneys from a mortuary, although the black and charcoal gray clad workers that usually accompany the gurneys were nowhere in sight. So after ten years you would think I would be accustomed to the idea of death, particularly death in a hospital, but I can say without a doubt that I am NOT. I am still shocked to see those gurneys in the halls. Just as I'm shocked when I open the pathology refrigerator and see a sawed off leg just sitting there like a leg of lamb waiting to be cooked for Sunday supper. It doesn't gross me out like it used to, like when I threw up when I saw a breast from a mastectomy in a jar of brown liquid. But I'm definitely not jaded. And you know, I hope I never will be. I never want to go into work and see body parts or hear about somebody who died and think to myself, "No kidding? (pause) What's on the menu for lunch?"

No comments: