Thursday, January 13, 2005

getting down to the meat of it

There are a lot of compelling reasons to go vegetarian or vegan, tonight I may have been exposed to the most compelling reason yet. I was at the grocery meat counter and immediately the guy behind the counter recognizes me, which is pretty unusual because people tend not to remember me. Then he starts getting my order together and says, "Nice BCGs." To those out of the military acronym loop, BCGs are birth control glasses and it basically refers to the ugly freebie glasses the military gives you...so ugly in fact that they are considered a form of birth control in their own right cause nobody wants to have sex with somebody wearing those glasses. Oookkkaaaayyyy, so first of all he's saying my hyper-fashionable, vaguely emo but mostly Wonder Woman's human alter-ego Diana's hip black-rimmed glasses were ugly. Mmmhhhmmm , the fastest way to win a woman's heart...insult her.
Then he says "Them glasses sure are purdy on you" (with no exaggeration on the twanginess of the compliment which immediately makes me think of "your mouth sure is purdy"). "Wow, your eyes are almost black, I never saw eyes that dark...I prefer brunettes myself, them other guys can have them blondes." Yeah right, Sam the meat-man, this brunette, NUH UH! Let's put it this way, ever heard the expression "A face only a mother could love"? Well I'm pretty sure he might be the mother-loving exception.
After that, as I stand there uncomfortably, wondering how long exactly it takes to wrap up a half a pound of ground round, it became the start of my favorite game. "Contestants, are you ready to play LisaM.'s favorite game...'What's your nationality?' You have five, that's right five, chances to correctly guess Lisa's nationality."
First let it be known that I was too tired to correct the meat-man about the difference between nationality and ethnicity/racial make-up so I let him guess. "German (uh no and a first for me), Italian (again no but one I've heard a million times), Irish (well half-right but still kinda no)." So I tell him, "You're not even on the right continent." "Not Indian? (well also part-right if he was referring to Native American, which he wasn't and let's face it, who DOESN'T claim one billionth part Cherokee or Sioux)...okay then habla espanol (nope not Latina either and frankly he was SHOCKED to hear that)."
So finally I was like, "Dude, I'm half Korean and half white." And then we moved on to the next part of the program..."REALLY?!?! You don't look half Korean (yeah, like I haven't heard THAT my ENTIRE life)...my cousin's brother's girlfriend's brother's friend is married to a Koh-ree-inn and her kids eyes are slantier than yours."
This is where I gave my faker than fake smile, grabbed my purchase and ran for the hills, just before my anger runneth over in a big old tirade. So...vegetarian...I did it once for a year or so, it's starting to sound pretty damn good right about now.

No comments: