Saturday, January 29, 2005

winky and twins

Katie and I went to the movies last night. We had wanted to see Closer but it isn't playing in any of the theaters around here any longer. It was playing yesterday and had been playing since it opened, but I don't just use my amazing procrastination skills for studying alone. So instead we went to see Sideways. It was HIY-LAY-REE-USSSS!!! I don't know about you, but sometimes I'm a little wary of movies that are critic favorites because frankly I like my movies Oscar-worthy (and not this Oscar, this Oscar). This one though, its got enough low-brow humor to keep me happy. AND it has gratuitous nudity, but not of women...no this movie shows the man-junk. This got me thinking. Independent flicks (well movies made on a non-Hollywood massive blockbuster scale) love to show penises, unlike the Hollywood movies which are all about the women's bits. Why is that? Does showing a penis somehow give legitimacy to a movie as a NOT-Hollywood movie? Are smaller producers giving Hollywood the finger by showing the crank? Or is it because we're so unaccustomed to seeing old winky and the twins that it can be used incredibly effectively for shock value and laughs?

No comments: