Friday, March 04, 2005

pants on fire

Distraction plays a very important role in my life, though usually not a positive one. I get distracted often. Sometimes I have trouble maintaining a conversation because I'll see a fly or somebody with a bright colored piece of clothing will walk by. Tonight I was backing into the driveway and I heard a weird crunching sound under my tire and got really distracted because I was worried that I was driving on the next door lawn, which would be a bad way to start off a new neighbor relationship. So I'm looking at the lawn and forget that my foot is still on the gas and BAM, I run into the fence. So I broke the fence, but it's still standing and I mostly got it back into place. And the obviously broken parts...well the landlady has ivy and morning glories growing all along it so come spring time when I vacate these premises...the plants will cover the splintered wood. I've already rationalized not telling her about it (ie lying) by mentally tallying all of the slum-lord things she's done like A. not fixing the gutters so that the porch becomes the super-slippery path of death or dismemberment after it rains or B. the fact that she didn't mention the fact that the cracks in the house let out all the heat so even though I leave my house at an average of 58 degrees, I still pay a two-hundred dollar electricity bill. What's a shitty, moldy three foot fence compared to that?

No comments: